Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rays in 6

By: Harvey

That's my official World Series prediction. It's about an hour before Game 1, and I know you've all been waiting anxiously to hear my take. Hopefully you still have time to get that money down in Vegas...wait...huh?....the Rays are what?....favored?....I can't make any money in Vegas betting on the Rays? Son of a bitch!

Actually, I'd already heard about this little fiasco in which all the sports books stand to lose a shit-ton of money if Tampa Bay defeats Philly in the series. The Rays were 200-to-1 longshots in preseason oddsmaking. Kinda makes me wish I'd gone and put my life savings on Tampa. I could have almost $1,000 if this goes the way I think it will.

So Vegas is making the Phils the favorite to get suckers to bet on them and keep people away from putting more cash down on the team that should really be favored.

Tampa is going to win this thing, boys and girls. Their pitching is better, and their lineup is better...at least right now. Tampa beat better teams to get to this point. The Phillies are vulnerable to good left-handed pitching, and Tampa's bullpen is better outside of Brad Lidge. Lidge is a stud, but collectively the Rays' pen is stronger despite some tough luck lately. As long as the starters don't get banged around early, and that doesn't seem likely to happen, then the back end of the Tampa's bullpen is solid.

Plus, I find it difficult to bet against American League teams these days. Even though I despise the brand of baseball played in the junior circuit, it seems to get it done in today's game.

Oh yeah, and I hate fucking Philadelphia. Go Rays.

No comments: