Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fantasy News and Notes March 31st

By: Guido

Kevin Gregg has been named the closer for the Chicago Cubs. I find this to be hilarious for one reason. In all the fantasy drafts that i have been in this year, Marmol went early. Too early for my taste. I've never understood why closers get drafted so early. Is it really worth a roster spot if they get hurt or lose it and they were your fifth pick. i prefer the late pickings. I guess you could say I'm a vulture. However, I've found that being a vulture is pretty damn successful. You don't need 10 saves a week in head to head leagues. you just need one more than your opponent.

Now, if you're looking for a bad ass MRP or SU guy, then look no further than Hong-Chih Kuo of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Last years stats (96k's in 80IP, 1.01 WHIP, .204BAA, 12 Holds) will improve since he's a lock for the Dodgers bullpen. Dan Wheeler of The (Devil) Rays would also be a nice pick up for Holds and WHIP.

I've noticed that Cubs 2B Mike Fontenot is being overlooked. Now I'm not saying that he is anything more than a last couple rounds type of guy, but he's gonna start. He's gonna put up solid numbers so it may be wise to put Fontenot in your mind and save him for the later rounds and just not worry about that position. That's the way I see it anyways.

Two other players that may end up being keys to your success are Texas 1B Chris Davis and Giants 1B/C/3B Pablo Sandoval. I'm higher on Davis than Sandoval because Davis is batting in a better lineup. However, the fact that Sandoval can play three positions, especially catcher, make him a valuable asset. Davis will go within the first ten rounds(depending on how many teams are in the league) while Sandoval will go in the middle to late rounds. I would take them both and use my picks on getting a stud SS(think Tulo or Rollins) and a couple OF's(Manny, Braun, Kemp or Ethier).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marmol can be just as valuable as a setup guy if your league keeps holds as a stat. In my rotisserie league, you can only start two relievers a day and holds count for just as much as saves. My Marmol/Lidge relief corps with Francisco Cordero filling in on off days was pretty successful.

Harvey