Tuesday, January 13, 2009

NFL title game picks

By: Harvey

I haven't been right about much so far this NFL postseason, but I am now here to redeem myself with some conference championship game picks that you can take to the bank*.

The AFC is the tougher pick of the two games, so let me begin by saying I've got the Cardinals over the Eagles as a stone cold lock in the NFC title game. Arizona has all the weapons going right now with one of the best wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, combined with some incarnation of Edgerrin James that hasn't been seen since his Indianapolis days — although after all his whining about playing time I have to say he is a tremendous dickhead.

Also, Kurt Warner seems to be the same guy he was back in the Greatest Show on Turf days in St. Louis. Imagine that. When he has good receivers to throw to combined with a solid running game and strong offensive line play, Kurt Warner looks like a genius. When he doesn't have those things, he looks like a bum. Maybe all the dumbass Bears fans should keep that in mind when evaluating their quarterbacks.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot the five interceptions Arizona had in their divisional win over Carolina. I've never been as impressed with Jake Delhomme as the general public, but he's still too good to be picked off five times by anything other than a Super Bowl defense.

Even though I recently proclaimed the Giants as your Super Bowl champs, I'm glad they lost to the Eagles. Not because I really like Donovan McNabb, but just because...well...because...hmm. Because fuck New York. That's why. Yeah.

Honestly, I can't get as excited about the AFC as a general rule, although I think the Steelers/Ravens will be an interesting matchup. I also love to watch good defense, so naturally they'll probably figure out a way to score 70 points or so. Just because I like the story, I'll take the rookie quarterback Flacco to take his team to the Super Bowl. For AFC teams, I like both clubs and don't figure you can go wrong with either one...although if Pittsburgh wins, I think it has a better shot at winning the big game than Baltimore does.

I'm just glad the damned Colts and Patriots are sitting at home. Ditto for the Giants and Cowboys. Especially the Cowboys.

*Writer's Note: I will not be held responsible for any financial losses incurred through the utilization of these picks, which will most likely be incorrect.

No comments: