Thursday, April 22, 2010

Big Z Set Up

By: Guido

I found this out last night and was gonna post about it but I wanted to wait until I got all the info. However, nothing has really been said yet.

Carlos Zambrano is now going to be working out of the bullpen. Why? Because Lou Piniella and Jim Hendry know their relievers suck dong. I told you the bullpen was going to be terrible. Zambrano said:

“I understand the situation. I understand that we need a little, little help in the bullpen. Look, we already lost three or four games in the eighth inning or in relief.”

At least Zambrano is upbeat about the situation. So with Ted Lilly set to return, the Cubs rotation will consist of Lilly, Ryan Dempster, Carlos Silva, Randy Wells and Tom Gorzelanny. Silva is doing too good for Lou to want to move him and apparently doesn't trust Gorz out of the pen.

I don't agree with this move at all. Lou says it's just temporary as the Cubs try to acquire a set-up man. So, their thinking is, "Wow! What a 1-2 punch to end a game! Zambrano and then Marmol". Dempster has pitched in relief. Have him do it.

Check this out:

Carlos Zambrano: 1570.2 innings, 106-70, 9 CGs, 3.56 ERA, 1.30 WHIP.
Josh Beckett: 1426.2 innings, 107-68, 9 CGs, 3.82 ERA, 1.22 WHIP.
Johan Santana: 1727.2 innings, 123-61, 9 CGs, 3.12 ERA, 1.11 WHIP.
Jake Peavy: 1380.2 innings, 95-68, 7 CGs, 3.30 ERA, 1.19 WHIP.

No comments: