Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Hate Brett Favre

By: Harvey

Brett Favre is back, just like you sorta knew he probably would be.

The guy can't give it up. I don't imagine it would be easy to retire from a game that has brought you so much joy (not to mention fame and fortune), but at some point I think I'd be embarrassed to be the guy who keeps blubbering like a schoolgirl with a skinned knee at my umpteenth "retirement" press conference only to announce a few months later that I am, in fact, still a player. Still, that's his choice and I don't see much point in maligning him for it.

I'm going to address the angst that the Bears fan in me has toward Favre. The guy has caused more misery in Chicago than any one player of my lifetime. That's why Bears fans hate him. He's been really good for a really long time. At least I know why I hate the guy. You see a lot of bitter Chicago fans trying to come up with this reason or that reason to hate on the guy . . . but the bottom line is they can't stand him because he beat up on the fucking Bears for years, and now there's a good chance he'll do it again.

Despise him as I do, I still feel Favre is going to help make Minnesota a real, real tough matchup. It was going to be good even if Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jacskon took the snaps . . . and now it'll be better.

I don't think the Vikings are the "team to beat in the NFC" like ESPN knucklehead Adam Schefter. But they were scary before and now they're a little scarier. Throw a hall-of-famer like Favre into the mix with Purple Jesus and a stout defense and tell me that isn't a team capable of winning any game on any given night.

Hopefully Jay Cutler and the Bears can hand Minny a couple losses this year and claim that NFC North title for themselves, but don't forget how AP has owned the Bears in the past. Now, there's another guy in Vikings gear that has had little trouble beating the Bears. Doesn't exactly have me feeling giddy as the season draws near.

No comments: