Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Out of Thin Air

By: Guido

Welcome Back Cardinals fans. I know it's been a long season and your quite happy that the Redbirds have won another central division title...but I know your deep dark secret.

Wasn't it back in spring training training when you all agreed, along with all the Cubs fans, that the Cubbies would be celebrating their first ever division title 3-peat? Yes. Yes it was if I remember correctly. You were very quick to write the Cards off. Sure, Pujols would show up and have another great season and hey, if Carpenter is healthy, you thought you could compete for third in the division. No point in getting too excited over a team that mainly consists of last years triple-a starters. Am I right? You said that didn't you. That's what I though.

Now I recall a good friend of mine getting absolutely pissed when the Cards lost to the Red Sox in the WS a few years ago. He was even more pissed when the Cards didn't pursue anyone in the off season. I clearly remember in the spring of 2006 during our weekly sports radio show on 89.9 The Max, when you stated, "I will not watch a game this coming season. We didn't pursue any key free agents. We have a crappy team with the best player in baseball history and we aren't going to build around him. I will not watch them this year. I don't care what they do. 5th place, 4th place...doesn't matter. I'm not watching."

Does that sound familiar? Because I basically heard the same speech from every Cardinals fan I talked to this year. Well, that was until the all-star break. Come that time, the Cards were leading the division with the Cubs not far behind. And you knew Derosa was on his way to STL and possibly Holliday.

Speaking for all Cubs fans, we have never just left our team to rot because we don't like the direction they are taking. We can't. We love our team that much that no matter how bad they play or act of the field, we still watch. We still live and die and come back for me the next day. We don't quit before the first pitch is thrown. I fell that Cubs fans are just as knowledgeable and passionate about their team as any other fans. I don't feel that Cardinals fans are. Not the whole lot of them. They are fair weather fans. "Talk to me when we are winning" attitude. They are quick to point fingers at their manager. If you ask me, La Russa is the most intelligent, drunk-ass manager in the history of baseball and I'd damn sure take him any day over Torre or Piniella or Sparky Anderson.

Where's the love for your team, Cardinals fans? So what if you don't like the direction your team takes to start off a season. Need I remind you of 2006 again? The Cardinals finished the regular season 83–78. This is the second-worst record ever for a league champion (the 1973 New York Mets finished 82–79) and the worst record ever for a World Series champion. But you still won!

It just made my stomach turn to see more and more people put on their Cards attire and work on their Greatest Fans in Baseball smiles as the season wore on. Fake. Fake. FAKE. You were never there until the winning started and the "saviors" came over from trades. Why must you be so ignorant? Why must you be so pompous? Why are you so...faithless? Greatest Fans in Baseball my ass! But I know your secrets, you fair weather bunch, you!

No comments: