Friday, June 5, 2009

Me Time: UFC 98 Edition

By: Guido

I've been saying for over a year that Lyoto Machida could beat any fighter in the UFC'c light heavyweight division. I was correct. Mchida's victory over Rashad Evans was most glorious. Like most MMA fans, I can't stand Rashad Evans and I was very disappointed when he beat Forrest Griffin for the light heavyweight title last December. Machida has looked so great in all his UFC fights. I can't name one fighter that I believe could challenge him other than Rampage Jackson. Apparently, Machida's first title defense will be against Mauricio Rua in October at UFC 104. Griffin will face Anderson Silva at UFC 101. Evans and Rampage are set to coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. I'm not to sure of Rua being deserving of a title shot just yet but I don't make the matches. I think Jon Jones could be the next great light heavyweight given a few more fights in the UFC against guys who are better then Stephan Bonner. Bonner, by the way, is soooooo fucking overrated. Dana White must be afraid to let Bonnar go because of his first fight with Forrest. In my opinion, Bonnar doesn't sell tickets or put on good fights. Bonnar has also been beaten by Lyoto Machida. Coming back to Machida, I would like to see him defend the title against Forrest and Rampage, assuming he beats Rua.

I agree with Matt Hughes getting the decision over Matt Serra at UFC 98. Even without the New York accent, Matt Serra would still be an overachieving jackass. It wasn't the most satisfying victory for Hughes or Hughes fans but I'll take it. Hughes played to his strengths and won the fight and that's the name of the game. i know fans will watch the fights and get pissed when it's just two guys wrestling around on the ground but that's the way it is. If you want to win a fight, you need to play to your strengths and Hughes' strong suit is his wrestling. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for him to try and trade blows with Serra. It would be like Carlos Zambrano giving up pitching to play in the field because the fans want to see him hit everyday. Retarded. Hmmm...maybe someone needs to start a Big Z Twitter page to get the ball rolling on that...

I was really disappointed in Sean Sherk's performance against Frankie Edgar.

I was really impressed with Frankie Edgar's performance against Sean Sherk.

No comments: